SSI logo

Fast-Acting ADT Dispatcher Saves Family From CO Poisoning

A Newfoundland family is crediting an ADT emergency dispatcher with saving their lives from possible carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning ...

By Ashley Willis

[IMAGE]354[/IMAGE]MONTREAL — A Newfoundland family is crediting an ADT emergency dispatcher with saving their lives from possible carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

The CO detector went off in Lynn Tucker’s home on Dec. 17 in the late evening. Tucker, who was there with her son Chris, 21, and his girlfriend, ignored the alarm, believing it was malfunctioning. However, the detector, which is linked to ADT’s Montreal monitoring station, was not faulty. It was actually sounding off, ADT Security Services Public Relations Director Bob Tucker (no relation to the homeowner) tells SSI.

Caroline Joly, a monitoring center operator, immediately contacted the family to warn them about the alarm. The family told Joly not to contact the fire department, but Joly followed her gut instinct instead.

“Using her training, Caroline called the fire department anyway,” says Tucker. “The department came to the house a short time later and found lethal levels of CO in the home. Everyone would have died if someone had not come.”

It was later determined that the family’s propane stove had become blocked, thwarting poisonous fumes from properly leaving the house.

As a result of her heroism, Joly was awarded the ADT Life Saver Award on Feb. 16. The award recognizes employees who save customers’ lives from life-threatening situations. ADT North America President John Koch was on hand to present Joly with the accolade, as was the Tucker family. This is the first time the award was presented in Canada.

For her part, the lifesaving dispatcher remains humble about the situation.

“I was very happy to hear that the family survived, and that I was able to use my training and skills to save them,” says Joly. “I accept this ADT Life Saver on behalf of all my colleagues at the Customer Monitoring Center who do amazing work every day.”

CO kills roughly 600 people in North America each year. The odorless gas also causes thousands of others to become ill.

Ashley Willis is associate editor for SECURITY SALES & INTEGRATION. She can be reached at (310) 533-2419.


Article Topics
Fire/Life Safety · News · ADT · CO Detection · Industry Awards · Industry News · Monitoring · Saving Lives · All Topics

Security Is Our Business, Too

For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You'll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!

ADT, CO Detection, Industry Awards, Industry News, Monitoring, Saving Lives

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


Don't miss out! Subscribe to Security Sales & Integration magazine today. - Security Sales & Integration


View all security resources & downloads