DANVILLE, Va. — Smoke alarms and an alert neighbor are credited with saving the life of a resident here.
Assistant Fire Marshal Richie Guill stated in a news release that a neighbor called on Aug. 2 to say the house next door’s smoke alarm was ringing and smoke could be smelled, GoDanRiver.com reports.
Danville firefighters responded and found the house full of smoke and the resident asleep. Unattended cooking was found to be the source and firefighters were able to quickly control the situation, according to the Web site.
The Danville Fire Department began a smoke alarm program in 1999 that provides alarms and installation for residents who cannot afford them. According to the news release, this program has been credited with saving 27 homes and 73 people since it began.