1. What is the duty rating of a Type 1AA ladder?
a) 150 pounds
b) 225 pounds
c) 375 pounds
d) Type 1AA ladders do not have duty ratings
2. What is the most common type of injury on ladders?
a) Defective ladder
b) The type of surface that the ladder is placed on
3. When a fire alarm sensor has multiple technologies which can detect fire signatures it is called?
a) Dual technology
b) Stereo doppler technology
d) UL Listed
4. Double circuitry in the alarm industry relates to?
a) Normally open circuits
c) UL certificated burglar alarm systems
d) Central Station fire alarm systems
5. How many feet should a safe be installed from a proximity alarm?
a) It does not matter
b) 25 feet
c) 10 feet
d) 3 feet
6. When installing a safe alarm it is important to …
a) Insulate the safe from the floor and ground the safe
b) Ground the safe and install a capacitor in series with the grounding wire
c) Insulate the safe from the floor and not ground the safe
d) Connect the safe to a hot water pipe
7. An E351 is defined in Contact ID as …
a) Telco line 1 fault
b) Burglar alarm
c) Fire alarm
d) Low battery
8. SIA CP-01 was created as the …
a) Standard for motion detectors
b) Standard for panic alarms
c) Standard for control panel features for false alarm reduction
d) Standard for commercial fire alarm control panels
9. What type of electrical component has a multiplier?
10. The acronym and most common description for AWG is …
a) American Wiring Gauge
b) American Wire Gauge
c) American Wired Ground
d) Aluminum Wire Gauge
11. Circular mils (CM) is a unit of area used especially when denoting …
a) The diameter of the size of a wire or cable
b) The cross-sectional size of a wire or cable over 12 AWG
c) The cross-sectional size of a wire or cable under 12 AWG
d) The cross-sectional size of a wire or cable
12. NFPA 25 is the standard for …
a) The Inspection and Testing of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
b) The Installation of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
c) The Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
d) The Remote Station Monitoring of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
13. Cross-zoning relates to a methodology that is used to:
a) Install panic and holdup alarm systems
b) Isolate ungrounded circuits
c) Help minimize false alarms
d) Isolate grounded circuits
14. A device that automatically bypasses to earth a heavy nearby lightning charge, thus helping to protect electronic equipment connected to it.
a) Telephone line seizure
c) Lightning arrester
d) Line carrier
Jeffrey D. Zwirn, CPP, CFPS, CFE, DABFET, CHS-III, SET, RI, is a forensic alarm industry expert and President of Teaneck, N.J.-based IDS Research & Development Inc. He can be reached at (201) 287-0900 or email@example.com. This column is not intended as legal advice and should not be construed as such.
What’s Wrong With This Installation?
- End of line resistors (EOLR) installed in improper locations within the control panel set on both the normally open and normally closed protective loop circuits.
- The control panel set is not electrically grounded.
- The telephone line within the control panel set is t-tapped.
- Wiring termination within the control panel set does not meet industry standards.