As 2012 comes to a close, SECURITY SALES & INTEGRATION encourages readers to reflect on the many developments that have transpired in the electronic security industry during the past 12 months. To that end, the SSI staff has compiled a series of ‘Top 10’ lists based on reader popularity. Following are the 10 most viewed news items on the Vertical Markets channel on securitysales.com in 2012:
1. Lowe’s to Offer DIY Security, Home Automation Platform
[July 26, 2012] In an effort to respond to the growing interest in home automation solutions, home improvement retailer Lowe’s releases Iris, a cloud-based smart home platform.
2. iControl, Time Warner Cable Join Forces to Offer Home Automation
[Jan. 11, 2012] Through a new partnership, broadband home management software provider iControl Networks will power Time Warner Cable’s IntelligentHome solution using iControl’s OpenHome software platform.
3. AT&T Unveils Global Plans for Home Automation, Security Business
[Feb. 23, 2012] AT&T plans to offer its remote monitoring and automation platform, Digital Life, worldwide. The company has developed the service and technology for international carriers that will develop and sell Web-based home automation security and energy services to clients.
4. Vivint Launches Fleet for New Solar Division
[Jan. 9, 2012] Vivint, a national provider of residential security, energy management and automation solutions, launched a vehicle fleet for its new solar company in October 2011.
5. Report: RFID Market to Surpass $26B in 2022
[July 19, 2012] The radio frequency identification (RFID) market will reach more than $26 billion by 2022, according to research firm IDTechEx.
6. ADT Combats ATM Skimming With New Solution
[Feb. 13, 2012] To protect financial service companies and their clients from ATM skimming, ADT Business solutions has released ADT Anti-Skim ATM Security kit.
7. Passengers Headed to ISC West Help Restrain Captain After Crisis on JetBlue Flight
[March 27, 2012] The captain of a JetBlue flight from New York to Las Vegas who shouted about bombs and Al Qaeda after suffering what was described as a “medical situation” was subdued by passengers, many of whom were on their way to attend ISC West.
8. AlarmSystemReport.com Names 2012 Best Home Alarm System Companies
[July 31, 2012] AlarmSystemReport.com, a provider of residential security system reviews, named four do-it-yourself (DIY) firms among its inaugural Best Home Alarm System Companies awards program.
9. Vector Security Partners to Offer Managed Network Services to National Accounts
[Jan. 19, 2012] Vector Security has teamed up with Spacenet Inc., a data network services provider, to offer managed network services to its national accounts and retail customers.
10. Study: Loss Prevention Technology Helps Reduce Theft by $2.6B in 2011
[June 21, 2012] Retailers lost $34.5 billion in theft in 2011, a decrease of $2.6 billion compared to the previous year, according to the National Retail Security Survey (NRSS).