PITTSBURGH — Vector Security has awarded scholarships to 25 individuals as part of its Loss Prevention Foundation (LPF) scholarship program, which provides financial support to loss prevention professionals in the retail industry.
The nonprofit LPF, of which Vector is a founding member, offers two certification programs. The LPQualified (LPQ) is an entry-level education program for those who are new to the loss prevention profession. The LPCertified (LPC) is geared toward loss prevention professionals with at least three years of experience in the industry.
“The LPQ and LPC certification courses were designed by the LPF to fill a void that could not be filled elsewhere,” Vector Security Executive Vice President Michael Grady says. “Now that these courses have taken root in the minds of loss prevention professionals, they have grown immensely popular. Vector Security is honored to be part of an effort to make these scholarships available to worthy individuals who otherwise may not be able to afford them.”
More than 125 hopefuls, representing a variety of professional backgrounds, applied for the program. For the first time since the program’s inception, award recipients include seven Canadian-based winners.
“In making our selection, we look for individuals who express the high level of desire for the opportunity,” Grady says. “We also look for those who have a positive outlook as to how they will use the program to enhance their value to their respective employers. Persistence and demonstrated career progression are also important. Seven of this year’s winners had submitted applications in prior years and didn’t give up after the first try.”
Following is the list of 2012 Vector Security LPF scholarship program winners:
- Hart Brown (Rent-A-Center)
- Julio Cuba (Home Goods)
- Charles Garretson (TJ Maxx)
- Andrew Gourley (Wal-Mart Stores)
- Tyler Hail (Cabela’s Inc.)
- Hector Hernandez (Retired Law Enforcement Officer)
- Tyrone Macon (Marmaxx)
- Julie Morris (Lowe’s Home Improvement)
- Matt Strope (Dick’s Sporting Goods)
- Angela Busby (Bealls Inc.)
- Kevin Foote (Staples Inc.)
- Stephan Kimbrough (Dick’s Sporting Goods)
- Brian LeClair (Cabela’s Inc.)
- Paul McGinley Dollar (Financial Group)
- Chris Scheutzow( Bed Bath & Beyond)
- Ryan Sobieski (Cabela’s Inc.)
- Jeff Troszak (Cabela’s Inc.)
- Marshandala Wilson (Fossil Inc.)
Canadian LPQualified Scholarship Recipients
- Navtej Duggal (Winners Merchants Int’l)
- Luis Maio (Asset Security & Protection)
- Stephanie Paraskevopulos (Toronto Police Service)
- Santo Zenone (Gap Inc.)
Canadian LPCertified Scholarship Recipients
- Doug Carter (Easyhome LTD.)
- Stephen Kennedy (The Source — Electronics)
- Douglas Smith (Sephora Beauty, Canada)
The success of the program allowed LPF to broaden its coursework to reach more retailers, according to LPF President Gene Smith.
“With support from Vector Security, last year we broadened the use of the LPQ course to a new type of position at one of the nation’s largest auto parts and service retailers,” he says. “The retailer chose to educate its margin control specialists, who make certain that shrinkage is kept at a minimum within the supply and sales chain. This marked a milestone in the use of the LPQ to help educate non-LP personnel.”
For more information about the LFP, visit www.losspreventionfoundation.org.