ADT Partners With IFTTT for DIY Home Automation Channel
Popular cloud-based home automation platform IFTTT is testing an ADT Pulse channel to engage customers with a DIY element.
ADT is looking to engage customers with a new DIY element for its Pulse security and home automation system. The giant service provider is creating an ADT Pulse “channel” on IFTTT, a platform for creating if/then rules for a wide variety of smart home products and online services.
IFTTT (If This Then That) is gaining momentum among do-it-yourselfers, who can create rules, or “recipes” in IFTTT parlance, for enrolled devices and services. For example: If I tweet “all lights on” then turn on all of the lights in the home. Or: If motion is detected at the front door, then text me with an image from the front-door camera. Or: If my ADT Pulse system goes into alarm mode, then turn my Philips Hue lights to red to freak any intruders.
ADT says it is already Beta-testing a number of IFTTT recipes including:
- If a wearable changes from “sleep” to “awake,” then disarm the ADT Pulse security system.
- If phone alarm goes off at 6:45 a.m., then turn on the ADT Pulse-connected coffee machine.
- If Life360 [ADT’s GPS-enabled Canopy social network service] family members are away from home, then lock ADT Pulse-connected doors and arm ADT Pulse security system “away.”
- If the temperature outside is above 85 degrees, then change an ADT Pulse-connected thermostat to 70 degrees.
- If a user texts “DogDoor”, then unlock the ADT Pulse-connected back door.
- If the doorbell rings, then send me an ADT Pulse real-time video clip of the front door.
- If the sun sets, then turn on ADT Pulse-connected outdoor lights.
ADT, which boasts more than 850,000 Pulse customers, does not mention a specific time frame for the release of its IFTTT channel, but the company says it will create pre-configured recipes for the platform.
The security industry, with average attrition rates of about 12%, knows that the more engaged customers are with their systems, the more likely they will continue to renew their service contracts.
Allowing customers to create their own security and home automation “recipes” surely will help ADT keep customers longer.
This is the first collaboration CE Pro has seen between IFTTT and a provider of professionally-installed security/home control systems.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!
Recommended For You
Cloud security can present a paradox: companies love the flexibility and versatility of cloud security management, but are unsure if the cloud itself is secure enough to house their vitally important systems.
From processing power to lens selection to proper positioning, here are 13 tips to help shed light on proper installation of cameras in low-light conditions.