Think you have what it takes to win the SAMMY? Don't forget to turn in your entry forms by Dec. 21!
It’s been said that recognition is the most powerful of motivators. I believe this to be true. People crave praise and the feeling of being appreciated. Studies have stunned business owners and managers by showing that workers value positive feedback above and beyond anything else, including money.
For that reason and many others, back in 1994, SECURITY SALES & INTEGRATION launched the Sales & Marketing (SAMMY) Awards. The program — which recognizes and honors North American electronic security dealers/integrators who demonstrate exceptional expertise in their sales & marketing materials, business practices, and installations — has gained momentum each and every year.
The tradition continues April 9 when the 18th incarnation of the SAMMY Awards gala once again unfolds in Las Vegas as a prelude to ISC West. Also featuring the official SSI Industry Hall of Fame inductions, the early evening affair has become a focal point for leading security professionals to gather to honor and network with their colleagues. It’s an important event, productive, a load of fun ... and, oh did I mention free to attend with all comers welcome?
But let’s not get ahead of ourselves; you’ve got plenty of time to make Vegas arrangements. Right now, the top priority is getting together the appropriate materials and submitting SAMMY entry forms. It’s FREE to participate, but the Dec. 21 deadline will be here before you know it. Everything you need can be found at thesammyawards.com. This year’s “Best” categories are:
- Installer of the Year, Large Company (150+ employees)
- Installer of the Year, Small to Midsize Company (150 or fewer employees)
- Integrated Installation of the Year
- Overall Integrated Marketing Campaign
- Community Outreach Program
- Sales Brochure
- Company Newsletter
- Display Advertisement
- Broadcast Advertisement
- Promotional Giveaway Item
- Company Logo
- Vehicle Graphics Design
- Web Site Design
Winning a SAMMY is not only outstanding for company morale, it is also a fantastic sales and marketing tool in its own right. Of course, just being named as a finalist is nearly as sweet. A majestic SAMMY trophy prominently exhibited in an office serves as a powerful testimonial to potential customers of that company’s commitment to quality. And the exposure in SSI can be shown to prospects.
Here are eight quick tips for SAMMYs success:
- Are you qualified? — The SAMMYs are open to North American installing security companies, not manufacturers, distributors, etc. (but these firms can be sponsors)
- Don’t let deadline kill your chances — Procrastination is the enemy, get started on your entries today
- Canvas all the categories — There’s a lot to pick from; you can enter all, but only one entry per category
- Appeal to the judges — Review the applicable criteria as you put together your entry to ensure it addresses those factors
- Mind the rules — Check the fine print to ensure you send in what the category calls for
- Be user-friendly — Make sure it is easy for judges to access and evaluate your submission; and each entry requires its own packaging
- Go for ‘The Big One’ — If submitting more than a couple of categories, why not also enter Overall Integrated Marketing Program?
- Good form — Fill out entry forms completely, pay special attention to the reasons your entry should win that particular award; neatness counts, so seriously consider typing your entry; securely attach separate entry forms for each category
See you in Vegas. Good luck!
SECURITY SALES & INTEGRATION
Other Security Blog Posts
Under Surveillance | December 7, 2013
SSI Editor-in-Chief speaks with Camtronics President Mark Wellman discusses installing a unique video surveillance and lockdown solution at Canton, Mich.-based All Saints Catholic School, as well as security funding challenges for schools.
Under Surveillance | December 5, 2013
Canton Police Department Deputy Chief Scott Hilden discusses electronic security helps law enforcement accomplish its public safety mission in this exclusive Q&A.
Under Surveillance | November 18, 2013
Three members of the Custom Electronic Design & Installation Association (CEDIA) Board of Directors address recurring revenue, competition, technology and more in the latest Under Surveillance blog.
Under Surveillance | November 15, 2013
For years Honeywell has hosted annual conferences for each of its three largest authorized dealer programs. The individual format changed this year with Connect 2013, which brought together installing security contractors from the First Alert Professional (FAP), Commercial Security Systems (CSS) and Honeywell Integrated Security (HIS) networks.
Laying Down the Law | November 14, 2013
Ken Kirschenbaum shares the best way for alarm dealers to terminate difficult subscribers.