2010 Technology Breakthroughs
SSI‘s technology experts once again handpick some of the most noteworthy devices introduced this past year. The 2010 Top 30 Technology Innovations is a balanced list of ingenious hardware design, cutting-edge software development and labor-saving installation aids.
The security industry offers a staggering array of technology today. Obvious examples include high definition video, analytics, biometrics and wireless devices. However, digging deeper reveals fascinating wrinkles within those areas as well as a host of fresh and inventive approaches addressing other security needs and challenges. SSI’s 2010 Top 30 Technology Innovations gives some of the year’s head-turning creations (a 10-megapixel camera!) due recognition but at the same time also drills down to uncover hidden gems (pool alarm anyone?) that might otherwise have slipped under the radar.
Whether you are looking to increase profitability, become more efficient, make installations and troubleshooting easier, expand your business’ portfolio of offerings, satisfy random curiosity or sate your inner techno geek, you’re assured of discovering something in this year’s Top 30 picks that tickles your fancy. In fact, although the judging criterion limits each manufacturer to a single entry, this year’s list includes access control, fire/life-safety, intrusion detection and video surveillance applications, and spans at least 21 different types of technologies.
As you might expect, the choices by SSI columnists Bob Dolph (“Tech Talk”) and Steve Payne (“Convergence Channel“) are by and large indicative of their respective fortes. What all the selections share in common is offering owners/managers, salespeople and technicians of installing security providers a wealth of opportunities and benefits. With ‘oohs and aahs’ all around, SSI is delighted to present — in alphabetical order by writer — 2010’s Top 30 Technology Innovations.
Bob Dolph’s Picks:
- Bosch Communications Receivers
- Dedicated Micros ‘Edge’ Recording
- DMP Supervised Wireless System
- Fluidmesh Wireless Ethernet Line
- HAI Universal Cellular Communications
- Honeywell Wireless Video
- Iluminar Infrared Illuminator
- IpDataTel Broadband Transmitter
- Keyscan Tailgating Solution
- NuVo Whole-House Audio System
- Samsung Waterproof Camera
- S.R. Smith Pool Alarm
- System Sensor Early Fire Detection
- Veracity IP Camera Tool
- Videx Key Management Cabinets
Steve Payne’s Picks:
- Aiphone Networked Intercom
- Arecont 10-Megapixel Camera
- Axis 3-Megapixel Dome Camera
- Code Blue Mass Notification
- Comnet Modular Ethernet Switch
- Dotworkz Camera Enclosures
- FLIR Color Night Vision Cameras
- GVI Security Integrated NVR
- Messoa LPR-Capable Camera
- NOTIFIER Fire Alarm Control Panel
- Optiview Weatherproof DVR
- Paxton Power-Saving Access Reader
- Pelco Megapixel p/t/z Camera
- Pivot3 Ruggedized Storage Array
- VideoIQ Megapxel ‘Edge’ Camera
SSI Technical Writers Bob Dolph and Steve Payne and Editor-in-Chief Scott Goldfine can be reached at [email protected].
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!