9 Show Highlights From ISC West 2014
SSI Editor-in-Chief Scott Goldfine reviews his top highlights from ISC West 2014.
ISC West 2014 wrapped last week in Las Vegas. The days were filled with seeing new products, exploring new trends, and hearing about the latest happenings from tops in the industry.
Listed are a few highlights that have stood out to me since the event:
- Tri-Ed Marketing Manager Lynette Baranowski provided an update on the wholesale distributor’s new website (with e-commerce later in the year) and soon-to-be-announced new branch openings. Although the company does not usually exhibit products at its booth, an exception was made for the Nest thermostat, which was attracting a good deal of attention.
- One of my favorite industry people, Michael Joseph, told me the transition following the recent acquisition of Mace Central Station by Security Partners is progressing nicely. Joseph is general manager of the company, whose CEO Pat Egan was honored during the week with his induction into the SSI Industry Hall of Fame.
- Jack Fernandes, president and CEO of American Fibertek Inc. (afi) told me about the firm’s new products released at the show: a hybrid fiber transmission line to ease analog to IP surveillance; an updated version of the Pilot video/event management software (VMS); enhanced analog fiber products; and a series of multimode to single mode fiber converters.
- Caught up with Stanley Security‘s Martin Guay, vice president, commercial – North America. He told me that roughly two years in from the acquisition of his former company, Niscayah, that things are progressing nicely within Stanley and that a number of vertical markets are excelling.
- Spent some time with PSA Security Network Director of Marketing Lisa Miller, who informed me the upcoming PSA-TEC event in May is running well ahead of last year for pre-registrations. SSI serves as the Elite Media Sponsor for the conference, one of my favorite industry functions that I have attended for more than 15 years.
- Speaking of PSA, one of the co-op’s former employees and industry friend, Marcus Batten, told me he is now a national sales consultant for Allegion based out of Houston.
- Other key booth stops included Acadian Monitoring Services, Byte Brothers, Channel Vision, DoorKing, George Risk Industries (GRI), Reconyx and Zwipe.
- Also met with long-time industry friend and SSI contributor Bob Grossman of RG&A consultants who recently began working on the publication’s newly introduced Bench Test product reviews department. Be on the lookout for his assessment of the HDcctv 2.0 press conference he attended.
- As a final shout out, special thanks to the SSI Editorial Advisory Board whose members participated in an annual breakfast and brainstorming session that will help us continue to deliver the industry’s most relevant, credible and enjoyable trade publication.
Be sure to check out SSI‘s comprehensive coverage of the event.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!