One Boston Bomber Dead, Second Suspect on Run

A massive law enforcement manhunt is under way in the suburbs of Boston for a man identified as one of the Boston Marathon bombers. Another suspect was killed last night in a shootout with law enforcement. A campus police officer from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was killed by the suspects and a transit officer was critically wounded.

The surviving suspect has been named as Dzhokar Tsarnaev, a 19-year-old who had been living in Cambridge, just outside Boston. It is believed that Tsarnaev is a Chechen jihadist. The dead suspect is believed to be his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26.

The release last night of numerous images of the suspects triggered either a second wave of attacks or a desperate attempt to escape by the suspects.

Massachusetts State Police Col. Timothy Alben told the Boston Globe that the night’s outbreak of violence began when police received reports of a robbery of a convenience store in Kendall Square near MIT. A few minutes later, an MIT police officer, who has not been identified, was shot multiple times while in his cruiser at Main and Vassar streets, near Building 32, better known as the renowned Stata Center on the MIT campus. The officer was pronounced dead at Massachusetts General Hospital.

A short time later, two men carjacked a Mercedes SUV at gunpoint, and the owner of that car was able to flee at a gas station on Memorial Drive.

The SUV proceeded out Memorial Drive toward Watertown followed by a long train of police vehicles in pursuit. At one point during the pursuit, the two suspects opened fire on Watertown police and a transit police officer, who was shot and who remains in stable condition at a Boston-area hospital this morning.

During the gunfight, Suspect No. 1 was wounded and was taken into custody. This morning, Dr. Richard Wolfe said the man was brought to the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center emergency room about 1:10 a.m. with multiple traumatic injuries.

Fox news says that during the pursuit the suspects tossed explosives. Live explosive devices were left behind in the wake of the pursuit and are being neutralized by bomb techs.

Federal, state, and local officers have established a reportedly 10-mile-long perimeter in Watertown, Mass., and are searching building to building for the suspect.

In a short press conference this morning, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick urged the public throughout Boston and its suburbs to “shelter in place” and not open their doors for anyone except credentialed law enforcement. All public transit in the Boston area has been shut down.

Security Is Our Business, Too

For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.

A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!

Get Our Newsletters