Helping Clients Switch to Managed Services
Here are tips to help security integrators navigate the hurdles when helping clients transition to a managed services platform
Helping your existing customers make the transition to managed services will be a long-term process.
Don’t expect your client base to sign up with services immediately. Chances are they are happy and comfortable with the products and break/fix services they already receive from you. People are typically resistant to change, so it will take a bit of nudging and a lot of discussion to transition them with you.
To begin the discussion, think about it from their perspective. Why would they buy services from you? People need reasons why, so speak to their pain points and how a managed services model can eliminate those woes.
According to Chapter Five of the Ultimate Guide to As-a-Service, studies suggest you can realize up to a 93% acceptance rate simply by using the word “because.”
Or ask questions. What happens when something in your business fails? Spell out the time-consuming process that leads to resolution: they call you after something goes wrong; you try to pencil them into your schedule, and several frustrating hours or days later, the problem is resolved.
Then reveal the managed services solution, which includes proactive monitoring and management, so they can avoid downtime altogether.
The Ultimate Guide to As-A-Service
Tips, advice, and long-term solutions on how to transition your business to an as-a-service model, and why it’s beneficial to do so.
Part 1: Why Change Your Business Model?
Part 2: How to Plan for the Big Transition
Part 3: Managing Cash Flow
Part 4: Adapting Your Sales Strategy
Part 5: Transitioning Your Existing Clients
Part 6: Business Process Automation
Part 7: How to Retain Clients
“Don’t wait for someone else to figure this out for you. Take action today, beginning with business modeling, goals and targets, and a long-term strategic plan. Begin with only 10% of your customers, using the other 90% of your business to support the transition. If done correctly, the cash flow will balance out quickly, with very little risk,” says Henry Hegelson, CEO of Merchant Warehouse.
Hegelson is describing something called the Hybrid Approach. Instead of presenting services to all your customers at once, take it slow. Don’t bring it to the stubborn guys, the demanding clients. Approach those you know are forward thinkers, always looking for new ways to grow and become more efficient.
Chapter Five of this guide clearly outlines this process. Learn what to tell your existing clients, how to handle new clients (present services right away!), and who might not be worth it. Learn how to evaluate how much time is allocated among each of your clients, and gain the confidence to leave behind challenging clients who won’t make the transition with you.
Showing how you can cut a customer’s time-to-service by 90% can be very compelling in the world of instant gratification. And once you have happy clients, they become success stories to be passed around. Client referrals are the #1 source of new business for managed services providers.
Security Sales & Integration‘s sister publication Commercial Integrator is offering a free download, Ultimate Guide to As-a-Service, to learn how to position your new managed services offer to clients, and much more about this valuable and intricate transition.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!
Recommended For You
Cloud security can present a paradox: companies love the flexibility and versatility of cloud security management, but are unsure if the cloud itself is secure enough to house their vitally important systems.
From processing power to lens selection to proper positioning, here are 13 tips to help shed light on proper installation of cameras in low-light conditions.