SSI Hall Of Fame: 2004
- Started in CCTV business in 1968, selling cameras to banks
- In 1971, founded Cataba Valley Security Systems, sold it in 1975
- Developed central station using 27MHz transmitters
- Sold design to ADT
- In 1973, founded Moose Products Manufacturing
- Sold in 1987 to Aritech, later bought by Sentrol, then Interlogix, then GE
- Returned in 1995 as manufacturer of a small siren
- Founded Elk Products, which makes 150 products today
- Also founded The Systems Depot, a wholesale distributor
Why He’s on the List
- In 1983, introduced Z 1100 control panel, which became ADT’s standard for more than a decade and sold millions worldwide
- Created products with superior power supplies, solid microprocessor controls, easy programming and plug-in components
- Produced one of first really loud sirens, comparable to a police car
- Built own rechargeable batteries and more
Comments & Reaction: “The stuff we sold was bulletproof and had the lowest return percentage on the market. I have been doing this for 35 years and I have had a great run and have loved every minute of it.”
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!