Between Us Pros: 12 Security Trends That Matter Most
SSI Editor-In-Chief Scott Goldfine counts down the key trends that emerged in 2015 and are likely to carry over into 2016.
Most of us are so busy and pulled in so many directions it can be daunting if not impossible to see the forest for the trees. However, in most cases full potential and ultimate success is only achieved when one has a plan – an informed and well thought-out plan based on experience, market intelligence and gut instinct. The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to step back and fully assess the opportunities and challenges in today’s marketplace, and where you would like to see yourself and your business in it. SSI is here to help you read the tea leaves in that proverbial forest.
Before you start digging in, let’s set the table with the topics that were most pervasive during 2015 and likely to carry over. In random order, here are 12 key trends supported by SSI news headlines of the past 12 months:
1. Install/Monitor Firm Deals Frenzy. Ackerman Security Acquired by Private Equity Firm … Monitronics Buys LiveWatch … Private Equity Firm Merges P1, ASG Security … ADS Security Makes 4th Buy in 2015 … Alarm Detection Systems Nabs Safe Systems … Diebold Sells Security Unit to Securitas … Stanley Security Buys SentryNet
2. Access/Video Keen on Consolidating. Panasonic Acquires Video Insight … Canon Buys Axis for $2.8B … 3xLOGIC Adds Access Control With infinias … HID Grows Portfolio With Quantum Secure Buy … Kaba-Dorma Merger Creates $2.1B Access Titan … Allegion Acquires SimonVoss to Boost Reach, Innovation … NICE Deal Done, Dubbed Qognify … FLIR Systems Picks Up DVTel
3. Smart Homes a Sensation. ADT Posts Strong Q2 Results for Pulse … Smart Thermostat Market to Top $2B by 2022 … Home Automation Market Growing 26% Annually … Tyco Works With Nest Labs on Connected Home … DIY Home Automation Market to Reach $21.3B by 2020 … Lowe’s Joins Z-Wave Alliance to Boost Smart Home Retail Presence
4. Schools Become Students of Security. Tennessee Schools to Upgrade 500 Security Cameras … Texas Schools to Add IP Cameras … San Diego Schools Upgrade VMS … Ohio Schools OK Communications, Surveillance Upgrade … Univ. of S. Florida Installs Security Cameras Outside Dorms
5. Public Places Pursue Protection. Myrtle Beach (S.C.) to Install 800+ Security Cameras … Security Cameras Approved for Fayette County (Ga.) Parks … N.J. Township Police Launch Security Camera Registration Program … Fort Myers (Fla.) City Council Votes to Install Surveillance Cameras … Project NOLA Seeks Donations to Pay for Security Cameras
6. Terrorism Takes Its Toll. Mall of America Boosts Security After Terror Threats … Shooting Stirs Movie Theater Security Debate … DHS Reviews Alert System … San Francisco Law Requires Video Surveillance of Gun Sales … In Wake of Paris Attacks, Authorities Have ‘Full Confidence’ in Super Bowl 50 Security … San Bernardino Shootings Raise Workplace Security Concerns
7. Police Prioritize Security Technology. LAPD to Equip Officers With Body Cameras … Police Stress Importance of Video Verification for Security Alarms … New York Cops to Receive Smartphones With Real-Time Sharing of Crime-Related Info … Police in Norcross, Ga., Turn to Surveillance to Fight Crime
8. Security Scams an Industry Scourge. Police: Bogus Door-to-Door Alarm Sales Reps May Be Burglars … Vision Security Barred From Selling Service in Florida … Police: Alarm Salesman Pressuring Elderly Residents … Door-to-Door Alarm Sales Rep Dupes 9-Month Pregnant Woman … Vivint Banned From Selling Door-to-Door in Wyoming City
9. Cybersecurity Concerns Center Stage. Integrators Take on Cybersecurity at PSA Event … HP: All Home Security Systems Are Easily Hacked … Security Experts: SMBs Vulnerable to Cyber Espionage … Hacked Mattel Toy Can Open Garage Doors … U.S. Firms Spend $15M Yearly on Cybercrime … SIA Tabs Cybersecurity Advisory Board
10. Internet of Things Interest Intensifies. Tyco Joins IoT Advocacy Group’s Board … Allegion Partners With iDevices to Expand IoT Footprint … IBM to Spend $3B to Develop IoT Unit … IoT Security Market Worth $29B by 2020
11. Drones Fly Higher on Radar Screens. Drone Crash at White House Underscores Security Gap … Drones Research Explores Commercial Video Monitoring Capabilities … Utah Looking at Using Drones to Help Emergency First Responders
12. Surveillance Is Security’s Superstar. Video Surveillance, VSaaS to Hit $49B by 2020 … Video Analytics Market to Grow 19.5% CAGR … Global Video Surveillance Market to Exceed 22% CAGR … Video Storage Market Worth $18B by 2020.
Bio: Editor-in-Chief and Associate Publisher Scott Goldfine has spent more than 17 years with Security Sales & Integration. Follow him on Twitter @SSIEditor or send him an E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!