SSI Hall Of Fame: 2004
- Before joining RCA in late 1940s, served in U.S. Army Signal Corp. in Communication Security
- Earned undergraduate degree in electrical engineering from Univ. of Tennessee
- Received graduate degree from MIT in industrial management
- Began CCTV career in 1972 as director of marketing and sales for new RCA department
- Left RCA in 1985, shortly before it was bought by GE
- Joined American Dynamics (AD) as VP of marketing and sales
- In early 1990s, AD bought by Sensormatic
- Left Sensormatic in 1995 to start Vision Research
Why He’s on the List
- Dubbed “The Father of U.S. CCTV”
- In 1970, recommended CCTV as business with major growth opportunity to RCA
- In face of strong Japanese competition, grew RCA’s CCTV division to largest U.S. supplier of CCTV equipment
- Helped develop reliable equipment, including time-lapse recorder based on VHS technology
- In 1992, received first Lifetime Achievement Award for Outstanding Leadership and Service from Closed Circuit Television Manufacturers Association
Comments & Reaction: “I appreciate this opportunity from SSI to give my overview of the industry as I will soon be leaving active participation in the industry, which I married at its infancy, 33 years ago.”
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!