SSI Hall Of Fame: 2008
President/CEO of Protection One
Why He’s On The List
- In 2001 at age 32, came in as CEO of Protection One to turn around one of the industry’s largest monitored alarm service providers at a time when it was beleaguered by diminishing returns and image problems
- Later became Pro One’s president and led one of the largest operating restructurings alarm industry history, and refocused marketing and sales strategy
- In early 2007, led successful merger with Integrated Alarm Services Group (IASG) and its family of companies, which included Criticom Int’l and made Pro One the industry’s No. 1 alarm monitoring provider
- Grew up learning how to do everything from pulling cable to strategizing business plans in a family that owned and operated an alarm company
- At age 24, founded Guardian Int’l, building it into the nation’s 16th largest security installation company with $20 million in revenues
- Under his leadership, Guardian acquired and consolidated more than 35 security portfolios along the East Coast
- Prior to founding Guardian, he held management positions with The Alert Centre and Guardsman Central Security Corp.
Keys To Success
“When I came to Protection One, it was having trouble digesting numerous large acquisitions and figuring out what kind of company it wanted to be. It was also dealing with a balance sheet that needed to be addressed. Our cost structure was upside down, and we had to make some very tough decisions, which included significant job cuts. Once we got a handle on the economics, we tackled each issue aggressively, putting people in the proper jobs, rebuilding our growth strategy, but most importantly improving our customer service, field operations and customer attrition issues.
“The keys to that success have been an extremely hard work ethic, but most importantly surrounding myself with people who complement me and who add to any organization I am helping to build. The Protection One team is a great example of how an entire group of people can build a successful company, and they have been behind me 110 percent.”
How Things Have Changed
“We are in a 24/7 society. People want their security company and service to be reliable, but more importantly always there for them and accessible no matter where they are. Service in our monitoring centers or in the field from our technicians and branches needs to be incredibly efficient as well as outstanding. The use of more powerful automation and communication tools has made Protection One a better provider and stronger competitor and has improved the industry as well.”
What The Future Holds
“IP technology will enable us to install and monitor more devices other than just sensors that are reactionary. We have a great opportunity to leverage what we have learned during the past 100 years, and the future looks very exciting.”
Something People Might Not Know
“I work a lot but I also am an avid motorcycle sport bike rider. Also, my wife and I are involved in cancer research fundraising.”
Reaction To Being Inducted
“When I heard about it, I was totally surprised and proud. Being inducted is a great honor and one I would not have received if the people around me did not believe in me and work hard alongside me. It is a great honor not only for me but for the 3,200 people on the Protection One team.”
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!