How Stanley Won the 2017 SAMMY Award for Best Overall Integrated Marketing Program
Stanley Security produced a carefully crafted campaign to keep customers ‘connected.’
Stanley Security knows well how to connect the pieces of an integrated security system for its customers.
It’s fitting that yellow toy building blocks (one of the company’s main colors) were part of its winning SAMMY submission for Best Overall Integrated Marketing Program not only in representing the intertwined technology Stanley stitches together for its customers but conveying the integrator’s theme — “Experience the Power of Connected Security” — used companywide as core to its marketing message.
Stanley’s theme resonates with customers and prospects for several reasons, explains Senior Director of Marketing Beth Tarnoff:
- Dual meaning of “connect” via technology and relationship building humanizes the brand
- Stanley’s solutions empower customers to work smarter and more efficiently
- Marketing materials speak to a forward-thinking, innovative, tech-savvy company
- The theme differentiates Stanley in how its security products can connect with other variables that drive an end-user business and increase ROI
- Emphasis on the “experience” of working with Stanley underscores the firm as a value-added business partner
“Customers don’t want to be marketed to; they want to be supported through their decision-making process,” Tarnoff says, noting that, for example, “customers are more likely to subscribe to, and click on emails they find useful and engaging vs. a sales pitch.”
Tarnoff explains that all of Stanley’s marketing strategy, development and execution is managed by an in-house four-person team, which relies upon key tools such as third-party marketing automation and customer relationship management (CRM) software.
“We also work in cross-functional teams when rolling out a new solution, especially if the sales team will be the power users of the solution. In this instance, we ensure members of the sales team are involved in the process — so we have their buy-in and the solution is configured to meet their objectives,” says Tarnoff. “For graphic design, we collaborate with external agencies to execute on our vision for physical marketing pieces such as advertisements, fliers, or brochures.”
Stanley drives home its central theme via various avenues:
- Detailed infographics, charts and other visual content
- Nearly 100 thought-leadership pieces developed in the past two years such as case studies, white papers, videos and other articles
- Digital and print brochures employing impeccable design and tailored toward specific vertical solutions rather than “one-size-fits-all” literature
- Digital and print advertisements in target market publications and associations
- Email marketing that’s ballooned from a few thousand emails sent in 2014 to more than a million in 2016
- Direct mailings, particularly when it comes to notifying tradeshow attendees of booth giveaways
- Constant social media interaction
- A comprehensive website
The company’s originality and creativity — and marketing theme — could be seen especially during ASIS 2016, where it incorporated those yellow building blocks in its booth and brought in a professional toy block builder to construct sculptures during the show.
Social mentions surpassed the company’s goal, aided by the #STANLEYConnects hashtag that gave Tweeters a chance to win a 400-piece block set. Besides interacting with customers at tradeshows, Stanley also works to stay in customers’ minds by hosting special events around them.
“We create an experience to remember at our customer appreciation events — from over-the-top food, to specialty drinks and cigars, to unique entertainment and relaxing atmosphere,” Tarnoff says. “Our customer events are typically casual — our focus is on providing customers a fun, relaxed event to build our relationship with them and thank them for their partnership.”
2017 SAMMY Winners: Read up on the rest of this year’s SAMMY winners here.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!