SIA Founds Women in Security Forum to Advance Industry Diversity, Participation
The steering committee for the new SIA forum is led by 10 female executives and managers from leading industry vendors and integrators.
SILVER SPRING, Md. — Security Industry Association has established the SIA Women in Security Forum to support the participation of women in the security industry.
Through programs, professional development and networking events, the committee will engage members, both men and women, who share this goal, according an announcement.
The inaugural steering committee for the SIA Women in Security Forum includes (listed alphabetically by company):
- Elaine Palome, Axis Communications
- Chelsea Render, Bosch
- Kelly Bond, Brivo
- Vicky Lowe, Convergint Technologies
- Janet Fenner, Dahua Technology
- Sherida Sessa, ISC Security Events
- Dawne Hanks, Milestone Systems
- Christine Hamberis, ScanSource
- Alice DiSanto, Sharp Intellos
- Maureen Carlo, Videotec Security
“It is an honor to serve on SIA’s new Women in Security committee as it recognizes the countless women working in this industry, and our collective achievements and contributions,” says Fenner. “It also presents a great opportunity to engage, mentor and help further empower a new generation of women executives in the physical security industry.”
“It is a privilege to serve a forum keenly focused on propelling women within the security industry. Providing a venue where future female leaders can strengthen their know-how, while networking and brainstorming around future solutions with peers can only improve competency and esteem,” says DiSanto.
“Our success depends on the quality skill, and values of our employees. At Axis, we believe that a diverse and talented workforce is a key competitive advantage and that different backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences are important drivers of innovation. We are pleased to be taking part in this joint initiative with SIA,” says Palome.
Potential goals for the forum include:
- Create mentorship/sponsorship programs to advocate for advancement and build confidence in the workplace.
- Connect women in the industry through networking events.
- Develop a recruiting program for next generation female professionals and leaders.
- Initiate an ongoing dialogue between male and female leaders to enhance mutual understanding.
- Identify platforms that can provide visibility for women.
- Spearhead an issue that will create opportunities for women to work together and be at the forefront of a major initiative.
Membership is open to SIA members in good standing; nonmembers are eligible for up to 90 days. To get involved or for more information, contact Kim Landgraf, SIA staff manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!