SIA Sums Up Security Industry Benefits in Biden’s COVID-Relief Stimulus
SIA details the $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief stimulus and outlines key funding areas of importance for security companies.
SILVER SPRING, Md. — The Security Industry Association (SIA) has released a summary of funding areas contained in the latest COVID-relief stimulus that are most important to the security industry.
On March 11, President Biden signed his administration’s first major piece of legislation, the American Rescue Plan, which appropriates $1.9 trillion in COVID-19 relief to aid small businesses, public schools, state governments and government contractors impacted by the pandemic.
SIA strongly supported passage of the relief and stimulus package as urgently needed to address the coronavirus pandemic and help businesses struggling under its economic impact. SIA lists the following funding areas of greatest importance to the security industry:
- Paycheck Protection Program: An additional $7.25 billion is allocated for the U.S. Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Note that this does not extend the PPP’s current application period, which is scheduled to close March 31.
- Federal Contractors: Section 3610 authorities are extended to Sept. 30, which allows agencies to pay and reimburse federal contractors unable to work on site due to the pandemic. In a Feb. 25 letter, SIA and other business groups representing contractors urged Congress to extend Section 3610 in this legislation.
- Employee Retention Credit: The law extends the employee retention credit established by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act through Dec. 31.
- Paid Leave Credits: The American Rescue Plan extends tax credits for employer-provided paid sick and family leave established under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act through Sept. 30. The measure would also increase the wages covered by the paid family leave credit to $12,000 per worker, up from $10,000.
State and Local Government Aid
- $350 billion is provided for states, territories, counties, cities and tribal governments through 2024 for a broad range of uses in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The National Conference of State Legislatures has provided an estimate of how this funding will be allocated across jurisdictions.This funding includes a new $10 billion Critical Infrastructure Projects program to carry out capital projects directly enabling work, education and health monitoring. An additional $122 billion is allocated for public schools through September 2023. Similar to expenditures by government entities through the $150 billion Coronavirus Relief Fund in 2020, the significant new funding provided under the American Rescue Plan is expected to impact procurement of safety/security products and services related to these purposes.
- $1 billion is allocated to the Technology Modernization Fund (TMF) through September 2025. This program allows eligible federal agencies to use funds to replace aging, legacy IT systems with updated IT solutions. Previously, the program received $100 million annually. The increased funding for TMF will expand the scope and speed up the timeline for critically needed upgrades to federal IT systems, which could include video surveillance, access control and other security systems defined as federal IT. In February, SIA partnered with other technology industry leaders to support this effort.
- $650 million is provided to the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) through September 2023 for cybersecurity risk mitigation efforts throughout the federal government, in part to respond to the SolarWinds cybersecurity incident first revealed in December.
SIA said it will provide additional analysis of the American Rescue Plan and the expected impact of this legislation on the security industry. Additionally, the association said it expects the next COVID-19 relief measure to focus considerably on infrastructure improvements.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Commercial Integrator + Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add to your bottom line.
A FREE subscription to the top resource for security and integration industry will prove to be invaluable.