SSI Hall Of Fame: 2004
- Graduated from Univ. of Florida as an engineer
- First job was helping develop security equipment for Webster Electric
- Spent five years as installing dealer
- In 1982, founded Northern Computers with brother-in-law
- In 1998, published “Security, ID Systems and Locks: The Book on Electronic Access Control”
Why He’s on The List
- Developed distributed intelligence systems not requiring computer for decisions
- “Building block approach” didn’t require throwing away old parts, components and software backward compatible
- In 1983, marketed PC-based systems, providing departure from mini-computer-based solutions of 1970s
- Created software for dealers for $500, about one-tenth what other manufacturers were charging
- Expanded market to hundreds of thousands of new customers
Comments & Reaction: “I would like to be remembered as a person who served others rather than himself, never abused authority given to me by others and returned substantial profits to shareholders.”
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!