Disconnecting Alarm Proves Fatal for Roslyn Heights, N.Y., Family

ROSLYN HEIGHTS, N.Y.—On May 8, Dr. Andrei Kranz returned to his home to discover a devastating scene. Six of his family members and friends had died in their sleep from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. It was an accident that could have been prevented had the alarm not been shut off.

According to Dr. Kranz, the sensitive detector frequently sounded, thus, he had disconnected the unit. During the weekend, the heating and cooling system in the home malfunctioned. The hot temperature outside prompted someone inside the household to turn on the air conditioner without shutting off the furnace.

As a result, the air conditioner drew in the flames from the furnace, cooled them and spread the fatal fumes throughout the residence.

Source: NBFAA False Alarm Network

If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Security Is Our Business, Too

For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Commercial Integrator + Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add to your bottom line.

A FREE subscription to the top resource for security and integration industry will prove to be invaluable.

Subscribe Today!

Get Our Newsletters