Security & Safety Things Launches 2nd Video Analytics App Challenge
Developers are challenged with creating specialized video analytic apps for use cases in retail, healthcare and other vertical markets.
MUNICH — Security & Safety Things (S&ST), a start-up founded by Bosch in November 2017, announces the launch of its second App Challenge to spur additional creative development in video analytic applications.
Through April 26, participating developers can submit proposals for apps to address specific security, safety and business optimization use cases in the retail, transportation, stadiums and entertainment, and healthcare verticals.
The apps will be designed to run on smart cameras using the S&ST open camera operating system and S&ST open IoT platform, which enables cameras to run a variety of applications simultaneously to perform different functions. The camera OS is based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP).
“While many vertical markets share a core set of operational needs, individual organizations also have unique requirements based on the nuances of their location, customer base or other circumstances,” says Adam Wynne, head of the S&ST Innovation Accelerator based in Pittsburgh. “We are calling on the collective creativity and unique perspectives of the developer community to help solve distinct customer challenges, whether that’s a standalone solution or one based on a combination of different applications.”
For this year’s challenge, a variety of systems integrators responded to an S&ST survey asking for customer needs and challenges in the four vertical market categories. Based on this feedback, developers will be tasked with creating innovative video analytic applications to address a host of different use cases, such as:
- Unmanned aerial detection for drones and other flying objects in stadiums, or during large events
- Suspicious behavior analytics for the detection of fighting or stealing
- Customer conversion and “out of stock” analytics in retails spaces
- Cargo protection for the detection of vandalism and theft in parking lots and other facilities
- Hygiene and PPE checks in healthcare facilities, as well as anomaly detection for unusual behavior in elder-care facilities
Three winners will be chosen by a jury of 20 prominent integrators and will be awarded individual prizes of 10,000€ each. Winners will also be invited to showcase their solution at the S&ST booth at an upcoming event, including escon 2021, depending on the COVID-19 situation. All participating developers will be able to benefit from various co-marketing opportunities with S&T throughout the duration of the challenge.
The winning apps from the 2020 App Challenge provided solutions for retail and commercial buildings, transportation and smart city, and manufacturing and logistics categories. Overall, the challenge resulted in more than 20 new applications being added to the Security & Safety Things Application Store.
How it works:
- Developers can submit multiple proposals for more than one vertical by April 26.
- Proposals will be reviewed and the most promising will be chosen by the Jury to proceed with development. Developers will have from April 29 to July 31 to create their solution(s).
- Once developed, the app will need to be uploaded to the Application Store by July 31. S&ST and the jury will test and review the apps.
- Winners will be chosen by the end of August.
Developers can apply by submitting their proposals here.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!