J.D. Power Reveals Results of Inaugural Home Security Satisfaction Report
Customer service is the key factor in consumer satisfaction among home security companies.
COSTA MESA, Calif – J.D. Power’s inaugural Home Security Satisfaction Report reveals that poor customer service will send home security customers to another provider regardless of their overall satisfaction level.
“It’s such a basic principle – provide good customer service – but it requires a commitment throughout an organization,” says Greg Truex, senior director at J.D. Power. “Spending time and money on designing, building and selling a product is great, but if the execution of the customer experience is lacking, it can all be for naught.”
Customer service is a crucial component because 40% of all customers contact their provider at some point with a question, problem or request.
Additional findings of the report:
- Satisfaction is 62 points higher among customers who do not consider switching providers than among those who do consider switching (880 vs. 818, respectively).
- The three leading reasons customers select a system are brand reputation (54%), price (46%) and positive reviews/online rating (45%).
- Nearly 9 in 10 (87%) customers indicate they’re able to control their system outside of their home, while only 59% indicate they control it from their mobile device.
- More than 9 in 10 (92%) delighted home security customers (overall satisfaction scores above 900) say they “definitely will” recommend the brand to others, compared with the report average of 72%.
- Nearly 9 in 10 (85%) delighted customers say they “definitely will” remain a customer of the brand, compared with the report average of 68%.
- Delighted customers make an average of 6.6 recommendations to family and friends, compared with the report average of 4.9.
- Monitronics (877) ranks highest in overall customer satisfaction, performing particularly well in six of the 12 factors: reliability of the system; system installation and setup; ease of using the system; clarity of owner’s manual; effectiveness of securing my home; and speed of monitoring response.
- STANLEY Security (875) ranks second, performing particularly well in helpfulness of online support documents; price paid for products/services received; variety of payment options; and contact with customer service.
- Vivint Smart Home (865) ranks third, performing particularly well in variety of features; ease of using the system; ability to control from various devices (e.g., smartphone, tablet, PC, laptop); and speed of monitoring response.
The average satisfaction among home security customers is 860.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!