Report: 2,100 People Lose Their Lives to CO Each Year

WASHINGTON

According to the Home Safety Council’s State of Home Safety in America report, more than two-thirds of the 65 percent of American households that use fuel-burning equipment for their heating needs have not taken measures to protect themselves from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by installing CO detectors.

CO causes about 2,100 unintentional deaths each year, says the American Medical Association.

“Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning mimic those of the flu and can include headache, dizziness, nausea and shortness of breath,” says Home Safety Council President Meri-K Appy. “While prevention is the key to avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning, carbon monoxide detectors are an extra measure of safety and can alert residents when the level of the gas in the air has become dangerous.”

Last July, the Home Safety Council honored Electronic Controls Systems LLC’s UltraGuard CO detector and safety system with its Product Innovation for Consumer Safety Award.

If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Tagged with: Industry News News

Security Is Our Business, Too

For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Commercial Integrator + Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add to your bottom line.

A FREE subscription to the top resource for security and integration industry will prove to be invaluable.

Subscribe Today!

Get Our Newsletters