Security Alarm Alerts Virginia Family of House Fire

An intrusion alarm, not a smoke detector, alerted a Virginia family of a house fire that completely destroyed the home.

HENRICO, Va. – An intrusion alarm – not a smoke detector – is being credited for alerting a family of five of a house fire that took their home.

The fire at the two-story house started in the garage just after 1:30 a.m. on May 18. Heavy flames were so huge that they knocked down a door, setting off the security alarm, NBC 12 reports.

Shortly after, the smoke alarm went off.

McKenzie acted quickly to get his wife and three children out of the house. No one was injured during the fire.

It took an hour for firefighters to get the blaze under control.

The fire completely damaged the home, as well as melted the McKenzies’ vehicles.

Investigators are blaming the fire on an electrical overload.

Although there was a working smoke detector inside the home, there was not one in the garage – where the fire started.

If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Security Is Our Business, Too

For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.

A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!

Subscribe Today!

Get Our Newsletters