Vision Security to Reform Business Practices in Idaho
The Utah-based security firm has settled a claim with the Idaho Attorney General’s Office for allegedly violating the state’s Consumer Protection Act.
Idaho Attorney General Lawrence Wasden noted that Vision Security sales members misrepresented the terms of the firm’s security system contracts when selling systems door-to-door.
Additionally, representatives told consumers that Vision Security would buy out their contracts with their current security system; however, many consumers were allegedly left paying monthly monitoring fees to two companies or large termination fees to cancel one of the monitoring agreements, Legal News Line reports.
Sales reps were also accused of failing to provide consumers with accurate information about the time permitted to cancel contracts.
Vision Security has agreed to pay restitution to consumers who paid early termination fees to their prior alarm companies.
Additionally, the firm agreed to reform its business practices in Idaho, including no longer misrepresenting the condition of a consumer’s current alarm system or that a customer’s home is located in a high-crime area. Other settlement requirements include:
- Sales reps must wear identification badges that includes representative’s name and affiliation with Vision Security
- Sales reps must inform the consumer of his or her three-day right to cancel the agreement
- Sales reps must not tell consumers that their current alarm monitoring company went out of business or is affiliated with Vision Security
- Sales reps must not misrepresent the condition or operability of the consumer’s current security system
- Sales reps must not promise to “buy out” a consumer’s current monitoring agreement
To apply for restitution, consumers must submit a complaint form and supporting documentation to the Attorney General before Sept. 8.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!