Security Science Quiz
1. What is adjustable loop response time utilized for?
a) Fire alarm systems
b) Telephone line seizure
c) Burglar alarm systems
d) Holdup alarm systems
2. What is a CDP?
a) Critical Detection Point
b) Circular Detector Proximity
c) Circuit Detector Point
d) Conductance Determination Point
3. UL 98 refers to …
a) Magnetic contacts
b) Enclosed and dead-front switches
c) Lightning and grounding
4. Edwin Holmes established the first network of monitored alarms by a central station in New York in what year?
5. Pseudo random encoding refers to what aspect of a security system?
a) The control panel’s microprocessor after 1979
b) The control panel’s microprocessor before 1979
c) The alarm transmission line
d) Long-range radio
6. UL-Listed Certificated Burglar Alarm Systems shall comply with what UL Standard?
d) UL864 9th Edition
7. How is the acronym SLC defined?
a) Security line center
b) Security line clear
c) Secure linear centrifuge
d) Signaling line circuit
8. An SLC loop is designed for what type of control panel?
a) Burglar alarm system
b) Fire alarm system
c) Conventional fire alarm system
d) Access control system
9. The term RPM describes what type of alarm technology?
a) Radio patrol monitoring
b) RadaR pin multiplexer
c) Remote polling module
d) Recreational perimeter motion
10. If you find that a 12V battery reads 12V with your digital meter, what if anything else do you need to do?
a) Nothing, because the battery has the factory specified voltage
b) Check the age of the battery through its date code
c) Test the battery under load
d) Check your meter
11. Pursuant to the 2007 edition of NFPA 72, under what circumstances shall a smoke detector be required to detect the invisible particles of combustion?
a) When using an ionization detector
b) When using a rate of rise heat detector
c) When using a smoke detector
d) When the fire alarm system is armed
12. Central Stations are generally listed by Underwriters Laboratories under which UL Standard?
13. UL 1981 is the standard for …
a) Remote-Station Automation Systems
b) Central-Station Automation Systems
c) Generator Backup Equipment for Central Stations
d) Generator Backup Equipment for Remote Stations
14. The requirements of Article 760 are codified in …
a) NFPA 70E
b) NFPA 70
c) NFPA 720
d) NFPA 730
15. UL 681 refers to what type of alarm system?
a) Fire Alarm System
b) High Temperature Alarm System
c) Low Temperature Alarm System
d) Burglar and Holdup Alarm Systems
16. UL 1641 refers to what type of alarm system?
a) Commercial Burglar Alarm Systems
b) Proprietary Burglar Alarm Systems
c) Residential Burglar Alarm Systems
d) Vault Burglar Alarm Systems
Think Like a Thief
One of the best ways to help maximize the effectiveness of security system design, recommendations, programming, installation and central station monitoring is for you to proactively look at the protected premises as if you were an intruder and then try to provide electronic countermeasures to help you recognize ways to counter what you believe an intruder might do to circumvent the alarm system. That being said, the customer has to be willing to pay for what you recommend, and to the extent they do not want to pay for all of your recommendations, it should be noted accordingly.
Jeffrey D. Zwirn, CPP, CFPS, CFE, DABFET, CHS-III, SET, RI, is a forensic alarm industry expert and President of Teaneck, N.J.-based IDS Research & Development Inc. He can be reached at (201) 287-0900 or [email protected] This column is not intended as legal advice and should not be construed as such.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!
Recommended For You
Cloud security can present a paradox: companies love the flexibility and versatility of cloud security management, but are unsure if the cloud itself is secure enough to house their vitally important systems.
From processing power to lens selection to proper positioning, here are 13 tips to help shed light on proper installation of cameras in low-light conditions.