Lockheed Martin Separates Unit, to Combine With Leidos in $5B Transaction
Lockheed Martin to receive one-time payment of $1.8 billion.
BETHESDA, Md. — Lockheed Martin has entered into a definitive agreement to separate and combine its realigned Information Systems & Global Solutions (IS&GS) business segment with Leidos in a tax-efficient Reverse Morris Trust transaction, unlocking $5 billion in estimated enterprise value for Lockheed Martin stockholders.
“This strategic transaction is an important milestone in the portfolio reshaping strategy we announced in July 2015 and allows us to focus on our core business in aerospace and defense,” said Lockheed Martin Chairman, President and CEO Marillyn Hewson. “The combination of our proven IT and technical services businesses with Leidos will create a new leader in the government IT sector with a diversified portfolio, greater scale and improved efficiency. The new business will be positioned for growth while unlocking value for our stockholders.”
Lockheed Martin says the agreement creates an enterprise capable of providing unparalleled solutions in industries from national security to health and life sciences. The complementary portfolios of both companies will enable synergies, creating additional value for stockholders, according to the company.
RELATED: Johnson Controls to Merge With Tyco in Deal Valued at $20B
Subject to regulatory approvals, the $5 billion transaction includes a $1.8 billion one-time special cash payment to Lockheed Martin, which the corporation intends to use to repay debt, pay dividends, and/or repurchase its stock. The cash payment is subject to adjustment on the terms set forth in the transaction documents. Lockheed Martin stockholders will receive approximately 50.5% (approximately 77 million shares) of the outstanding equity of Leidos on a fully diluted basis with an estimated value of $3.2 billion. Leidos’ existing shareholders will continue to hold the remaining approximately 49.5% of the outstanding shares of Leidos. The transaction structure, which is subject to market conditions, is currently contemplated to be a tax-efficient split-off transaction, which would result in a decrease in Lockheed Martin share count.
The transaction is also subject to Leidos shareholder approval and completion of customary conditions, including receipt of opinions of tax counsel. The transaction is expected to close in the third or fourth quarter of 2016. Until closing, IS&GS will continue to operate as a business segment of the corporation.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!