SSI logo

The difference between RG-58 and RG-59; Covering up wood splints, scratches

Q: What is the difference between RG-58 and RG-59 coaxial cable?

A: RG-58 is 50-ohm coaxial cable and is typically used for radio communications and thin Ethernet networks. RG-59 is 75-ohm coaxial cable for CCTV and cable TV. Some also use RG-6 for video connections.

The RG stands for Radio Guide. Remember that a coax cable is a radio frequency waveguide and the outer radius should not be distorted.

Q:Every once in a while I have a technician who will splinter or scratch a piece of wood or molding when drilling or installing contacts. It can get pretty expensive having a professional carpenter repair these mistakes. Do you have any suggestions on saving some money here?

A: First, make sure your techs are using sharp bits for clean cutting holes. This will reduce the number of splinters. Second, make yourself some wood and furniture repair kits.

This saved me one time when a tech came out of a wall in the wrong place and started to drill a wood dresser. I used to call them “bo bo” kits. This can simply be a box of kids’ wax crayons. There are also professional restoration crayon kits. A little more money, but a better quality of crayons. Make sure to have plenty of earth and wood tone colors. Check with your local distributor for these kits.

If you have any tips to share or have questions about installations or troubleshooting, E-mail Security Sales & Integration Contributing Technical Columnist Bob Dolph at

Article Topics
Business Management · Tech Talk · All Topics
Tech Talk


Don't miss out! Subscribe to Security Sales & Integration magazine today. - Security Sales & Integration