Welcome to the Season of Giving Attention to Securing Your Home With Smart Locks
During the winter holidays, home break-ins are an expensive problem. Smart lock sales offer a relatively inexpensive solution.
LAKE FOREST, Calif. – Winter is not necessarily the season that sees the largest number of home break-ins.
According to a recent report, burglary rates in winter were 11% lower than the summer numbers, most likely due to people taking summer vacations and people being more lax in hot months about doors and windows.
Despite the lower rate, though, the holiday season is a very costly time of year for homeowners when it comes to break-ins. In fact, a recent study from Porch research found that “the average dollar amount for holiday burglary is $2,891 – 5% higher than the average on other days.”
This likely stems from another, not-so-jolly statistic: expensive items like jewelry computers and furs are 10% more likely to be stolen during the holiday season than during other times of the year.
There are many ways for homeowners to prepare for the season when Grinch-like burglars are looking for a high-value haul; a good security system covering all the home’s entry points should be at the top of the list.
This security system can be augmented with everything from excellent outdoor lighting and automated shades, to video cameras (and/or a video doorbell) and of course, a smart connected lock or two.
“There are a number of convincing reasons why a smart lock is the best security option for homes during the winter holidays–or really any time,” says Erik Glassen, senior manager of brand marketing at Kwikset, in the company announcement.
“The remote capabilities of smart locks give homeowners the ability to use their smart phone or tablet to control their lock and track who’s coming or going from anywhere in the world,” he says. “Plus, a smart lock can serve as the centerpiece of a complete home security system, connecting all the devices and giving the homeowner greater control and peace of mind.”
Why Smart Locks Are the Perfect Holiday Gift
Some of the specific holiday season advantages of smart locks include:
- Remote control. When homeowners have a smart lock that can be controlled through a Web-enabled device, they can check to make sure all the doors are locked and, if they aren’t, lock them as needed – even when they are away visiting relatives or on a winter vacation.
- Setting the scene. Users can also pre-set scenes that can include doors locking or unlocking, outside lights and inside lights turning on, and shades opening and closing. In fact, users can make any potential uninvited guests think that the home is occupied.
- Invited guests are welcome. The homeowner can assign a time-sensitive user code to whoever might need one, and delete it when they see fit. In this way, they are not passing out keys to friends, relatives, and contractors – keys that can be lost or stolen. But they can give access to trusted people who can check in on property and pets.
- Key-free is stress-free. Speaking of key-free, there is no easier way for criminals to gain access to a home than if they find the key that’s been “hidden” under a mat or inside a fake rock. With key-free smart locks, hiding keys becomes a thing of the past.
- Information is power. Smart locks connected to a home automation system can be used to maintain important information about their use and deliver it to a controlling device. In this way, they can provide homeowners with an audit trail of who has been granted access to their homes, and when.
“If dealers make themselves aware of the seasonal benefits of smart locks,” says Glassen, “they can not only grow their business but also potentially make the holiday season the most wonderful, and safe, time of the year for their customers.”
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!