SSI Hall Of Fame: 2008
President/CEO for Honeywell Automation and Control Solutions (ACS)
Why He’s On The List
- Founded ADI, which has grown to a more than $2 billion global wholesale distributor of security and low-voltage products, with more than 200 branch locations worldwide
- Helped launch Vista control — the genesis of highly reliable and cost-effective wireless technology
- Started First Alert Professional, the industry’s leading branded dealer network that now includes more than 300 independent dealers with in excess of 600 locations
- In 1986, introduced AlarmNet, which set a standard as a reliable alternative for alarm signal transmission
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting independent alarm dealers with divesture of Honeywell Security Monitoring (HSM)
- Instrumental in key acquisitions (e.g. Northern Computers, providing foundation of Honeywell’s access business)
- Under his leadership, ACS has tripled its new product innovation and grown by $6 billion
Keys To Success
“I’m fortunate to have led a number of great business ventures and accomplishments over my career with Ademco, Pittway and Honeywell. The key has been surrounding myself with great people. It spans from the day when we convinced Ben Cornett and his team to join Ademco to my current leadership team.”
How Things Have Changed
“Ademco and Pittway had a very strong entrepreneurial culture, which has been a major factor in the transformational change within ACS and Honeywell. At the time we sold our business to Honeywell, it was a company of three cultures — Honeywell, Allied Signal and Pittway. A major transformation has taken place since those days. One of our hallmarks today is blending the best of a big company’s strengths and those of a small company culture.
“Looking at the entire industry, the global nature has changed in that our business wasn’t historically based on growth outside of the U.S. It is now. More specifically, there is major expansion in critical infrastructure as ports, aviation, chemicals, oil and gas, nuclear, government, food- and water-related facilities. And, cyber security has been another massive shift over the course of my career, from the threats that exist for business around the world to the convergence of IT and physical security.”
What The Future Holds
“There will be a greater use of wireless technology. I also see it becoming a larger part of commercial and industrial applications, while today it’s mostly used in residential. Also, the convergence of IT and physical security — will continue. There will be a convergence that can bring higher security to both physical assets and data, and improved ROI on IT and security infrastructure investments.”
Something People Might Not Know
If his career had taken a different path, he might have wound up as a consultant or investment banker.
Reaction To Being Inducted
“This is a tremendous honor. I want to thank SSI magazine. The security industry is a great business. I’ve had wonderful experiences, great relationships and gained many friends from a terrific career that’s just getting started!”
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!