Custom Alarm Renews TMA 5 Diamond Monitoring Center Status
Custom Alarm is a locally owned provider of security and fire/life-safety systems. The Rochester, Minn.-based company also owns a UL-Listed central station.
Based here, Custom Alarm specializes in fire alarm systems, intrusion, video surveillance, access control for both residential and commercial owners, and home automation.
The TMA Five Diamond Monitoring Center designation is granted annually to alarm monitoring centers that satisfy all requirements of the “five points of excellence” per guidelines of The Monitoring Association (formerly CSAA).
- Commitment to random inspections and quality criteria standards by a nationally recognized testing laboratory, such as FM Approvals, Intertek/ETL and UL
- Commitment to raising the industry standards through TMA membership and participation in its activities
- Commitment to reducing false dispatches
- Commitment to the highest levels of customer service
The designation means, in particular, a monitoring company has demonstrated an exceptionally high degree of responsibility to their local community and their customers through the investment of time, money and commitment to quality operator training.
That Five Diamond status requires all central stations operators within a company to complete ongoing job-related education and testing using the TMA online training series on industry best practices.
The operator coursework course covers virtually all phases of monitoring center communications with customers, police, fire and emergency services communications centers. In order to achieve the Five Diamond certification, each operator must not only pass the course, but demonstrate:
- Proficiency in alarm confirmation process, which helps reduce false alarms
- Proficiency in communications with Public Service Answering Points, such as the 911 centers
- Knowledge of electronic communications equipment, including, cellular, radio and internet communication systems
- An understanding of the codes and standards of such organizations as UL, Factory Mutual (FM), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and others
- Proficiency in the area of emergency preparedness under a wide scenario of possibilities
There are approximately 2,700 monitoring centers in the United States that communicate and interact with police, fire and emergency services agencies. Of this group, fewer than 200 monitoring centers have achieved the Five Diamond designation, according to TMA.
Security Is Our Business, Too
For professionals who recommend, buy and install all types of electronic security equipment, a free subscription to Security Sales & Integration is like having a consultant on call. You’ll find an ideal balance of technology and business coverage, with installation tips and techniques for products and updates on how to add sales to your bottom line.
A free subscription to the #1 resource for the residential and commercial security industry will prove to be invaluable. Subscribe today!